Right-click here to download the episode or listen on your mobile device
Running Time: 39:07
- The linchpin says, “I don’t want a job that a non-linchpin could get.”
- The reason you might choose to embrace the artist within you now is that this is the path to (cue the ironic music) security.
- The easier it is to quantify, the less it’s worth.
- Accept that everything is a draft. It helps to get it done.Developing Indispensability:
What have you read? Hyatt reads A LOT. Not all readers are leaders but all leaders are readers” – Truman
What have you listened to? – Todd Henry – Accidental Creative
What goal have you created for yourself? (Pick Four story)
Guillebeau – The Tower
“In building the tower, I had a clear goal: keep the stores stocked and the floors going higher. In the end, the goal was not sufficient; I needed something more substantial to hold my attention.”Taking advantage of this moment to become someone the world believes is indispensable
- Hyatt – Quits as CEO of Thomas Nelson and essentially starts his own business around HIMSELF. That’s Linchpin stuff right there.
- Guillebeau – World Domination Summit
World Domination Summit 2011 from Chris Guillebeau on Vimeo.In every case, the linchpins among us are not the ones born with a magical talent. No, they are people who have decided that a new kind of work is important, and trained themselves to do it.
- The linchpin sees the world very differently. Exceptional insight, productivity, and generosity make markets bigger and more efficient. This situation leads to more opportunities and ultimately a payoff for everyone involved. The more you give, the more the market gives back.
Hyatt is PRODUCTIVE
Guillebeau is PRODUCTIVE- Over time, the gifts accrue and you have created a reputation.
“If you don’t know what to do at any given stage, start by creating something and giving something. Every day, wake up and think about these two things: What am I making today? Whom am I helping today? Make something, help someone, and repeat. Your goal is to look back at the end of the day and identify something you’ve created and someone you’ve helped. Then, plan to do the same the next day, except try to take it further.” – Guillebeau (The Tower)If your Google search isn’t what you want (need) it to be, then change it. Change it through your actions and connections and generosity.- Am I some sort of prodigy? I don’t think so. I ship.
“Ultimately, I want to spend what’s left of my life building a tower. I want to work toward a challenging goal over time. I don’t need to win by competing against anyone else, but I also don’t want to lose. I’ll lose by giving less than my best, making poor choices, or wasting away a day I’ll never see again. I want to go to sleep every night thinking about how I will respond to the opportunities I’ve been given, and I want to begin planning my response immediately upon awakening.” – Guillebeau (The Tower)Those guys ship so why aren’t you?
- “Why didn’t you tell me that? What no one told me about marriage”
If you have some thoughts on this episode you can:
- Call in feedback to 615-200-TAKE (8253)
- Email me at Feedback@TakePermission.com.
- Leave a comment by clicking on the title of this episode and looking at the bottom of the page.