– Family update; we’re all pretty exhausted.
- Vienna: spent 5 days in the hospital with RSV that developed into pneumonia. Basically, she could have died. But she didn’t – which is really fantastic.
- Piper: spent a week being sick, just before ‘Enna got sick. She’s 98% recovered.
- Sar + Josh: tired, tired, tired. It feels like we’re smack in the middle of a marathon, and it’s super hard.
- 3 week timeline: Piper gets sick, Vienna gets sick, Vienna gets hospitalized, s*** hits the fan:
- 68% blood oxygen (a healthy reading is 98%)
- super lethargic
- difficulty breathing
- high temperature
- not eating/drinking
- on oxygen, iv within 25 minutes of arriving at the hospital
- x rays (2) confirm RSV developed into pneumonia
- money stuff, too…
- dealing with the fallouts…
– Other family
Bekah Stewart is a single mom (26 yrs old) with two little boys; she’s been through some ridiculous challenges over the past year (including husband who cheated and left her, and the subsequent separation/parenting challenges). Her blog, A Well Traveled Woman, has been super inspiring to us.
While our kids were sick, Sarah and I worked through her entire Tumblr feed (about 800 pages). The type of lifestyle she posts about really resonated with us in a new way – and we’re shifting our direction to reflect that.
– increase focus on outdoors
– increased focus on simplicity
– increased focus on family, relationships, and local community.
Main topic – how the Insanity has impacted our life
- impact on our marriage
- No sex for 3 weeks (longest drought of our 4.8 years of marriage) – has led to some challenging, yet awesome conversations… more on that next episode
- lotsa stuff.
- We’ve had a long period of weird tense-relaxation… our kids have been sick (causing stress), but our life’s ground to a halt, so we’re not doing much. Out of that weirdness, a lot of really interesting conversations have sprung up.
- sort of like another weekend of coolness and skulduggery, actually…
- in the midst of our kids’ illness, we’ve realized that we need a course correct. We’re moving forward (which is awesome), but we need a shift in direction:
- more outdoorsy
- more ‘simplicity’
- cooking great food
- much more creative expression
- open schedule
- not too much $$
- more music
- Sar and Josh are each spending focussed alone time with each kid.
- Josh being much more intentional about having sustained fun time with P+V every day… favourite games are hide and seek, drawing on the whiteboard, and tickle wrestling.
- Sar and Josh are having lots of significant conversations about our family, marriage, etc…
- impact on the NCF
- We feel we’ve hit a new chapter in our lives – and the website will shifting to reflect that… we’ll be re-organizing things, rewriting our about page, etc…
- impact on my work:
- Josh recruited a team of people to help with his contract
- writer, photographer
- Josh diversifying his income streams more
- new style of coaching, beginning to focus on getting my next job
Sarah’s our guest (for real this time!), and we’ll talk about marriage, sex, and the root of evil adventure.
Leave Feedback for the Non-Conformist Family at: