There’s more than one kind of expert maintaining a blog or publishing articles. The lazy ones are the aggregator, absent professor and grim reaper. The rest (thought leader, linchpin, cool kid) vary in their frequency but are at least capable of original ideas.
1. The thief – No original content or no links back to original content.
2. The aggregator – Little original content and no original ideas.
3. The thought leader – Watches the market place and connects what COULD BE in business with what IS in social media.
4. The linchpin – 80% of their content is their own, they reference other content only in order to show an example to follow.
5. The absent professor – They call themselves an expert but they post about once a month b/c they’re too busy at their full time job.
6. The grim reaper – Advertising is dead! Print is dead! All you need is a fan page! Wal Mart will die without a “tribe”! (Social media is the answer to every problem in the world but they never offer a road map on how to make their ideas happen.)
7. The cool kid – They post every other week but when they do they’re full of wisdom b/c they’re too busy running a successful company to post content every day. They’re living it so they don’t talk about it as much as do it.
Two important questions:
1. Which ones are worth following?
2. If you’re in the field, which one are you?