The internet is changing business again. Renting content is the next phase of accessing content via the internet.
The stages of ownership.
- Access to individual physical goods in person only
- Access to physical goods by catalog, ordered through the mail and delivered to consumers through the mail.
- Same as #2 but goods could be ordered by phone then delivered by mail.
- Catalogs posted on-line – call or use internet to order physical goods.
- Digital goods sold on-line and delivered via mail or digitally.
- Individual digital goods delivered on-line.
- Catalog of digital goods offered through subscription while computer is on-line.
- Catalog of digital goods offered through subscription while computer is off or on-line.
When what you want can be digitized it can be much better for you and for the customer to create a subscription model.
Where I rent:
- Access 15,000,000 songs with Spotify.
- I rent access to tens of thousands of movies on Netflix.
- Amazon is considering offering books rentals.
- And then there’s the good ol’ library
What can you offer?
Can you offer something to rent? Do you have something you can digitize and offer on a continuous basis? Today’s consumers don’t need to own goods, they want to own access to goods.
One more example of renting access…my new office.
Do you have examples in your life of renting access vs. owning? Do you have anything you can offer a subscription to?