Worrying about work, or the inability to stop working when we should be investing in our family isn’t because we’re selfish, it’s because we lack faith.
If you and I really believed that God would provide for us then we could work hard and then stop. But we don’t work hard and then stop. We work hard and then work some more and then work a little bit more. Then we check our email one more time before going to bed. You get the point.
Our boundaries between work and family are lousy. (highlight to tweet)
The reason you worry is normal. It’s human. I struggle with it even though I know it too.
How to stop worrying about work
Either God cares about you or He doesn’t. Either He will provide for you or He won’t. That’s His job. Our job is to work diligently and then when we’re done working to work hard on being present with our family.
- Stop working at a specific time every day, no matter what
- Leave your phone in the car when you go out with your family
- Make your bedroom an email free zone
- Schedule time with your spouse and your kids just like you do appointments with co-workers
- Ask God to give you great effectiveness at work
- Thank God for His provision
- Repent of not being grateful and for not having faith that He will provide
None of this is that complicated. I’m encouraging you to let God be God and you be you. You’re the parent. You’re the spouse. You’ve got your job with your family and your job with your employer. Do them both well but do them both separately and with intentionality.